If you want to cook some Dutch oven fry bread, this Indian Fry Bread recipe will work for you. It's easy to do and continues to show how versatile the dutch oven is. You can do almost any type of cooking in a dutch oven, and frying is just one more example of that!
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ c. nonfat dry milk
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. lukewarm water
- Melt shortening in the Dutch oven for a depth of about 2 inches.
- Stir the flour, dry milk, baking powder, salt and water together.
- Knead on floured board.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut dough into 8 sections, then flatten or roll out to ½ inches thick.
- Drop pieces of dough into the hot oil to fry about 2 minutes or until done.
- Roll in cinnamon and sugar.
I hope you enjoy these!
P.S., For more Dutch Oven Recipes, I recommend Best of the Black Pot. It has some delicious recipes and is great whether you are an beginner or an expert in Dutch oven cooking