The selection for Outdoor Cooking Magic Challenge #5 is in and it is Fresh Ham with Stuffing, chosen randomly from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. This dish calls for fresh ham with some stuffing in it, cooked for 3 to 3 1/2 hours at 325 degrees. Sounds like a great possibility for doing in my smoker. I'm just wondering where I'm going to find fresh ham (meaning uncooked).
Here's the recipe along with the selection video:
- 4 lb pork boneless leg (fresh ham)
- 3 cups water
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups soft bread cubes
- 1 tbsp dried sage leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Spread the pork flat and sprinkle with salt
- Heat the water to boiling, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Mix the eggs, onions, and all the other ingredients.
- Spread half of this stuffing mixture on the pork, roll the pork up, and fasten together with metal skewers.
- Put pork fat side down on rack in roasting pan.
- Spoon the remainder of the stuffing mix over the top of the pork.
- Roast uncovered in 325 degree oven until the internal temperature hits 170 degrees. This will take 3 to 3½ hours.
If you are interested in getting the cookbook I got this recipe from, please click here.