For Outdoor Cooking Magic Challenge #6, I used a cookbook that my sister gave us for Christmas. It was a homemade cookbook that contained favorite family recipes (a great idea, I might add, if you are looking for something to give for Christmas).
The recipe that was randomly selected was Quick Cinnamon Breakfast Cake. Like most things that are baked, this will be best done in a Dutch oven. A Dutch oven is ideal for baking and will produce wonderful dishes.
Here's the recipe, along with the selection video:
- 6 T. margarine, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp margarine, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup oatmeal
- In a mixing bowl, combine margarine, milk, and the egg. Beat together.
- Add the dry ingredients for the cake and stir into the milk mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Combine the topping ingredients.
- Spread the cake batter in a heated Dutch oven, using ⅓ of the briquettes underneath and ⅔ on top. For a 12" Dutch oven, use a total of 30 (10 underneath, 20 on top).
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cut and serve.